[Sticky] [HowTo] Sync Zimbra Open Source Edition and an iPhone/iPad
Experience advanced mobile functions with ZeXtras Mobile - Push emails and calendars, attachment management and much more!
Zimbra Calendars on iPhone/iPad/iPod
This guide explains how to configure calendar sync between a Zimbra Open Source Edition and an iPhone (or any iSomething with CalDAV capabilites, including iPods and iPads)
A little foreword
I'd like to explain a couple of things before we start..
First, I'll use the iDevice term to describe any Apple device running on iOS 3.1+
Second, I'll use the term CLICK. Sorry for that, but I can't suite myself with the 'touch this' or 'touch that' terminology. This is a serious post
How Calendar Synchronization works (without Zimbra Mobile ofc)
Synchronizing your Zimbra Calendar (or Address Book, but that'll be covered in another tutorial)to your iDevice is pretty easy via the CalDAV protocol.
Quote from the CalDAV page on Wikipedia.
Configuring the Sync
- From the Dashboard, enter the "Settings" menu
- Click on "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
- Select "Add Account"
- Choose "Other"
- Click on "Add CalDAV Account
- Fill the requested data
- Server - The address of your Zimbra Server
- User Name - Your email address
- Password - Your Zimbra password
- Description - A description for the account, e.g. Zimbra Calendars or Work
- Press "Next" and eventually press "Continue" for the "Cannot connect using SSL" message. Your data will be verified.
- If the data you entered is correct the new account should be visible on the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" view.
Enable Calendar Visualization
- Enter the Calendar app
- A new label, named after the Description of the account you just created, should be visible together with a list of all the calendars in your Zimbra account (both yours and shared to you)
- Click on a calendar name to enable/disable that calendar from the view.
- Press "Done" to return to the calendar overview. Appointments from all the selected calendars should be visible. If not, create a test event to force the first sync between your iDevice and your Zimbra Server
CalDAV is a stable and well-supported protocol, and using it for the synchronization between Zimbra and your mobile device allows you to work on all the calendars of your Zimbra account.. Pretty neat, huh?
Your iCommunity iManager,