With the speed at which the concept of the digital workplace is evolving, it’s safe to say there might be some hurdles along the way regarding the privacy of data. While it’s true that digital workplaces help cut costs down and increase productivity, the need for data privacy becomes more important as you need to use the internet and cloud services. This adds more touchpoints to your data that increases the risk of leaving your data vulnerable.
That’s why we need a full-fledged digital workplace with enterprise-class features without exposing our data to the cloud. This is why Zextras Carbonio exists as a private email and collaboration platform.
What Is Zextras Carbonio?
Zextras Carbonio is a full-stack email and collaboration platform with an emphasis on data privacy.
Zextras Carbonio is more than a usual email server, you have a lot of flexibility on the deployment, scalability, and customization, furthermore, you have video meetings, collaborative editing on documents, full sharing capabilities for files, calendars, and inboxes, and a lot more to provide you with the best private digital workplace.
Every product is characterized by its features. Saying Zextras Carbonio is just a digital workplace doesn’t fulfill its true potentials. So to better understand Zextras Carbonio, let’s briefly sum up its features.
Zextras Carbonio Features
First and foremost, Zextras Carbonio is an advanced email server equipped with a robust anti-spam and antivirus. On top of that, we have complete webmail to manage emails, calendars, contacts, etc.
At its core, Zextras Carbonio offers an advanced email server equipped with a robust anti-spam and antivirus. It allows system administrators to use a wide range of tools on the server-side to deploy, customize, and manage servers, storage, mailboxes, etc. On the client-side, users have functionalities of complete webmail to manage emails, organize calendars, collaborate, videoconference, etc.
For the sake of simplicity, let’s divide other features into two categories:
The Client-side is everything that takes place on the client and is displayed to the end-users so they can interact and use it.
- Webmail – To mange emails, calendars, and contacts which all comes with sharing capabilities. It means that you can create an inbox shared between a team members to get notified of the incoming emails. The same goes for calendars, contacts, and meetings. It also includes native mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Collaboration features – Professional collaborative editing features with multi-node architecture with high scalability to modify your documents in real-time along with several teammates. It also supports full sharing capabilities including external users. Native mobile apps for iOS and Android are also available to make collaboration easier.
- Communication system – Top-notch messaging features from individual chats to group video meetings and videoconferences along with external attendees. There is also structured corporate messaging through Spaces and Channels. Spaces are designed for working on specific projects and channels are placed inside each space for discussions and brainstorming on a subject.
The Server-side is everything that takes place on the server and provides system administrators with different tools to manage and configure the server. For instance, authentication, high availability, storage management, etc.
- Real-time backup and restore – For easy restoring from a single item to the whole infrastructure. Advanced disaster recovery tools and support for backup on external storage.
- Advancedstorage management – Including HSM, compression and deduplication, and object storages support.
- Specialized administrative profiles – To grant granular rights and permissions in a multi-tenant environment.
- Secure authentication – Including SAML and two factor authentication and support for QR code support for mobile apps.
- High availability – An auto-failover, active/active cluster with granular control per user.
- EAS support – For native synchronization with iPhone, Android, and Outlook.
What Makes Zextras Carbonio Unique
Here are some aspects that make Zextras Carbonio special.
- Private digital workplace
- Highly customizable and scalable
- Absolute sovereignty
Let’s dissect each one to why they are essential for a digital workplace.
Private digital workplace
Zextras Carbonio’s communication and collaboration system is entirely private as opposed to SaaS and public clouds, which are exposed to several touchpoints. This can be a great fit for enterprises that need to maintain the privacy of their sensitive data while benefiting from a modern digital workplace.
To learn about the privacy drawbacks of public clouds you can read the Roots of Cloud Computing and Data Privacy Concerns.
Highly customizable and scalable
Zextras Carbonio’s open-core design and flexible configuration allow system administrators to make the platform meet the company’s needs. It can be an excellent choice for service providers as it gives them complete control over the deployment and configurations, on-premises or on a private cloud. The pay-per-use without upfront costs also has a significant impact on easy and flexible scalability.
Based on its design, Zextras Carbonio is intrinsically compliant with data privacy. It is best for public sectors to safeguard sensitive data such as personally identifiable information, protected health information, and intelligence.
To learn more about the importance of data sovereignty, please refer to:
Guaranteeing data privacy in a digital workplace is not a simple task. Although there are different techniques and approaches to increase security, none come close to an on-premises deployment of servers and storage devices, which intrinsically gives you control over the infrastructure and data.
To learn more about privacy in on-premises servers, you can read A Crucial Choice of Email Servers: Cloud-based vs. On-premises.
Furthermore, governments and agencies worldwide impose different regulations regarding data privacy based on their geographical locations. Your data on the cloud could end up in the soils of countries with a different view on data privacy, security, and compliance regulations such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This makes different layers of policies to comply with, and failing to do so would cost you heavy fines.
On-premises servers not only ensure 100% compliance with data policies. It also provides you with a lot of flexibility to adjust and adapt to potential revamps in the future. For instance, several years ago, no one would believe political opinions would be considered as sensitive personal data according to GDPR, which should be held separately from other personal data.