Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.... 🙂
Now that ZCS 10 has gone GA is there a provisional timeline for a version of Zextras for that ZCS version? Obviously, I'm assuming that it will need a new version of Zextras, correct?
How about the new ZCS 10 version, will you be releasing a version of that?
this is Luca, Zextras Product Owner.
Thanks for your question.
As you know, we decided to put our effort to make publicly available the Zimbra 9 FOSS when it was announced that it would stop having an official FOSS release.
We knew we had to guarantee not only the availability of the build but also keep it updated and aligned with the codebase and provide a set of QA tests before releasing the packages to the community.
Unfortunately, this time we are not able to guarantee the same results, even putting same effort.
Looking at the project, version 10 confirms some changes introduced with version 9. Eg, the focus on the UI moved to the Modern interface, which is not open source.
Some changes in the mailbox seem to modify the architecture of features we used in order to extend it with our Suite, without making them available in the open-source code base.
In other words, we are still evaluating the impact of the changes to our Zextras Suite, and we cannot guarantee the stability or compatibility of an open-source build of Zimbra 10.
Until Zimbra 10 will not be officially supported, it will make no sense to think about supporting it.
To summarize: no, unfortunately, we are not going to release either a Zextras build of Zimbra 10 or support Zimbra 10 with Zextras Suite.
All the best
Thanks for the your detailed reply. It's a great shame that Zimbra has taken this path to make it difficult for anyone to use/improve/modify the product - in my opinion that's not a benefit to a supposedly open source product. I'll await further updates when you had a good look at the code. I guess I'll be using ZCS 9 for a good while longer. 🙂
It is questionable whether Zimbra is completely ending the FOSS edition. The official FOSS version 8.8.15 ends at the end of 2023. What happens after that? Today, Zimbra boasts that it will abandon open source, if it ends the FOSS edition, it will only be closed source.
Does anyone know the next steps?
@jansko Only Synacor knows their next steps about the topic.
What I can assure to you is that Zextras will maintain it's commitment towards OpenSource and Carbonio will always be available in a complete and usable open source version.
@paolo Good news and the right attitude!
However, the combination of Zimbra FOSS + Suite brought Zimbra features that Carbonio CE does not have. Which is a shame.
You can build you own zimbra 9 and 10 using this docker images from the following repo: https://hub.docker.com/repositories/ovox
Thank goodness there is Carbonio then - thanks Zextras!
I think I would like a route to move to Carbonio from OSS Zimbra 9. I would rather have some change in features and be on an active developed FOSS platform than adrfit in this mad Zimbra clutz of present with so many compromises and potential hacks.
I know we could look at shifting via a manual account migration route to Carbonio but is there anything better? This is Zextras after all 😉
it would be interesting to have some news about the zetalliance https://zetalliance.org/ there is no blog since mid 2022.
this alliance is supposed to be the angular stone of the zimbra API, on which zextras suite is build. If this goes wreck there will be no more zextras stuff for zimbra.
My point of view is that commercial cooperation has ended and each entity will make his own product. on its side. If one day there is again a zimbra open source it sure will not be compatible with current zextras suite. If you want pro services, buy pro version of either zimbra or carbonio. If you want opensource either go with carbonio CE without HSM or mobility, or wait for zimbra 1O OSS (very unlikely, but who knows) or turn to another product like Kopano.com .