Zimbra 9 Open Source is not updated
@Arman: Would it be possible to migrate from your Zextras build to TechFile Zimbra 9 ( https://techfiles.online/zimbra/) ?
I have tried to but it did not start so I am unsure if this is possible or if I would need to do a complete reinstallation in case of migration
@arman Hello Arman,
Any news on the new release(s) from Zextras? I would appriciate an new release due to the patches etc.
@dani Thanks, I'm running Ubuntu and stick to the excellent working solution by Zextras. I appreciatie their effort to support OSE-users.
We compiled Zimbra9 Patch 35 from the link https://github.com/ianw1974/zimbra-build-scripts.
[zimbra@mail ~]$ zmcontrol -v Release 9.0.0_GA_P35.RHEL8_64_20230907102826 RHEL8_64 FOSS edition. Oracle Linux Server release 8.7 NAME="Oracle Linux Server" VERSION="8.7" ID="ol" ID_LIKE="fedora" VARIANT="Server" VARIANT_ID="server" VERSION_ID="8.7" PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8" PRETTY_NAME="Oracle Linux Server 8.7" ANSI_COLOR="0;31" CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:oracle:linux:8:7:server" HOME_URL="https://linux.oracle.com/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.oracle.com/" ORACLE_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Oracle Linux 8" ORACLE_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.7 ORACLE_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Oracle Linux" ORACLE_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.7 Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.7 (Ootpa) Oracle Linux Server release 8.7
When I try the patch on this system at https://rpms.lapiole.org/Zimbra_OSE/9.0.0/p36/, I get the following error.
zcs-9.0.0_GA_20230914.RHEL8_64.20230914071217]# bash install.sh --skip-activation-check --skip-upgrade-check --force-upgrade ... Restoring existing configuration file from /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/localconfig.xml...done Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.20230828-191039.log Adding /opt/zimbra/conf/ca/ca.pem to cacerts Upgrading from 9.0.0_GA_P35 to 9.0.0_GA_20230914 ERROR: Upgrading from a ZCS version less than 7.0.0_GA is not supported
Can you help us with this? Thanks...
Unfortunatly, Zimbra upgrade script only supports numbers in the release (and here, Zextra chose P35, which can break upgrades). Not sure what's best, you can try to force the update with --force-upgrade. Or you can uninstall/reinstall all the packages
According to https://zextras.com/thankyou-zextras-build-zimbra, the most recent version of Zextras is still 9.0.0p28.
You had previously mentioned that Zextras would soon release two additional patches for Zimbra 9, with the first one due by the end of July 2023. Now that September has arrived, we still have not received the update. Is there a plan to deliver a new patch soon, or will Zextras simply offer one update in early 2024?
I appreciate your time.
I sincerely apologize for my delayed response. On behalf of our company, I deeply regret that we were unable to deliver the product as originally planned. We have encountered unforeseen issues which have caused this delay. Rest assured, I will promptly provide an update regarding the revised release timeframe on this thread.
Thank you @arman for the update. I look forward to receiving the forthcoming update.
Zextras will be diligently crafting a new version of Zimbra 9, incorporating the very latest patches to ensure an optimal experience for our users. It is expected to be ready by the end of October. However, there is currently no decision about whether we'll have more releases in the future or not.
I hope this release proves valuable to our users, even though it could potentially be our final one.
Thanks for the update, that's great news and I look forward to updating my current Zextras version of ZCS. 🙂
@john_doe I went down the same path. As I am also using zextras for activesync some migration scripts failed because columns where already in the DB (for mobile). Easy fix was to increment the db revision number to 114 in table config:
update config set value=114 where name="db.version"
so the migration script would not try to run the failing database migration scripts.
After the fix the rest of the db migration scripts ran just fine. Other than that, no issues whatsoever. Stable for 2 weeks now.
Disclaimer: your mileage may vary. I went from the December update + some patches from the Zimbra repo's to a self compiled version. If you have a working knowledge of the underlying tech (ldap, postfix, nginx, mysql) you could consider going down this path. Of course, always have a backup or a snapshot.
p.s. getting a license for e.g. Zextras is a great way to support the company. Consider it, even if there are alternatives to get the features you want from Zimbra.
A new patch release is published for ZIMBRA9 : Patch 37
looks like an apt update/upgrade is OK to fix.
good luck to you all